|Proctor Ski Area|
|Andover, New Hampshire|
|Vertical Drop:||436 feet|
|Standing Lifts:||Surface lifts|
|Past Lifts:||Surface lifts|
|Left: Proctor Ski Area in 2018|
|Recent NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com News:
Last updated: February 11, 2018
Located in Andover, New Hampshire, the origins of Proctor Academy date back to 1848, when Andover Academy first opened. After a few decades of changes and relocations, the institution became Proctor Academy in 1881. Proctor Academy is presently a private boarding school for grades 9-12.|
Early Decades of Skiing
Skiing at Proctor Academy dates back to the mid 1930s, when Roland Burbank brought the sport to the school. By the 1940s, Proctor had its own rope tow served slopes adjacent to the present day playing fields.
The early to mid 1960s brought two new ski areas to the Andover-Danbury area. A large ski area opened for the general public on the north side of Ragged Mountain, featuring a double chairlift. At some point before, during, or after the opening of that ski area, a backcountry ski trail was cut from its summit to the Proctor Academy campus.
The early days of Blackwater
Meanwhile, on a hill just south of Ragged Mountain, Proctor Academy built its own new ski area, named Blackwater. The initial development was serviced by a rope tow.
A T-Bar was reportedly purchased from a ski area in Michigan in 1968 and installed for the 1969-70 season. Athletic Director Bob Wilson enlisted the help of students in enlarging the ski area for the new lift.
Blackwater as seen from the south slope of Ragged Mountain in 2012
While other nearby ski areas struggled to stay open, such as Ragged and King Ridge, Proctor pushed Blackwater Ski Area forward in the 1990s by installing snowmaking and night skiing. Yarrow's Lodge was then completed in 1997.
2007 Capital Campaign
A capital campaign hit overdrive in 2007, as Proctor worked to upgrade the ski area. For the 2007-2008 season, $550,000 was raised to replace the T-Bar (with a T-Bar from the former King Ridge ski area), install a handle tow, improve trails, and expand snowmaking.
The base area
During the fall of 2012, Proctor ski coach and former Temple Mountain owner Sandy Eneguess widened the racing slope to meet FIS regulations. Around this time, references to the ski area started to transition from 'Blackwater Ski Area' to 'Proctor Ski Area'
The snowmaking system was upgraded in 2013 with new compressors and HKD guns. A terrain park was added for the 2016-17 season.
The Blackwater trail (2018)
Though technically a private ski area, Proctor often plays host to area outing clubs, as well as regional and statewide races. A set of ski jumps at its base are quite popular and feature snowmaking. Cross country skiing is also integrated into the development. The ski area is open to the general public by chance or pre-arranged event.
Click on lift name for information and photos
Year by Year History
Adult Weekend Full Day Lift Ticket; Adult Full Price Unlimited Season Pass
||Season Pass Price
Proctor Ski Area - official site
History of Proctor Skiing - YouTube
Blackwater Ski Area - New England Lost Ski Areas Project